While we all know that hair loss is one of the most devastating events a woman can experience, an equally troubling problem is unwanted hair growth. In this case, we are referring not to the hair of the head, but that found on the body. As a young girl matures and enters into puberty, her body begins to produce hormones which cause the maturation and development of the primary and secondary sexual traits. These hormones also cause the development of thick, darker (terminal) hairs in specific places.
Where and how much hair develops is dependent on her genetic make-up and ethnic background. Women of Mediterranean descent tend to develop more terminal hair on the arms and legs than do women of Asian ancestry, while women of European descent fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to developing body hair.
Our modern society has deemed that body hair on women is an undesired trait, and over the years women have developed a habit of shaving the body parts where such unwanted hairs are found (underarms, legs, etc.). Even the parts of the body where such hair is expected are carefully "groomed" so as not to appear "too hairy". This attitude toward body hair on women has become so ingrained (at least in American culture) that the sight of a woman with normal hair development is considered grotesque.
Yet, millions of women today experience what can be categorized as abnormal hair growth. Such hair growth is heavier than would be normal for someone of a particular ethnic background and genetic parentage. There are many factors which can cause this type of hair growth. The best method of dealing with the growth depends on which of the factors (or combination of factors) is the cause of the growth in a specific case. The most common factors for abnormal hair growth are:
• Altered Androgen Metabolism - The skin and fat cells of the body can convert
weak forms of androgens (male hormones) into more potent ones. Altered
Androgen Metabolism causes abnormal hair growth when the skin and fat cells
convert testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
• Increased Androgen Production - The ovaries produce testosterone as a part of
normal developmental function. Likewise, the adrenal glands naturally produce
dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate. When either of these glands over-produces
their respective androgens abnormal hair growth can result. The cause is more
often the fault of the ovaries than the adrenal glands, but there are several
recognized instances where the adrenal gland causes such problems.
• Decreased Androgen Binding in the Circulation - The hormone levels in the
body are regulated and balanced normally. The liver produces a substance
called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) which binds testosterone into an
inactive form. Estrogen stimulates the liver to produce SHBG which in turn
reduces the amount of free androgens in the blood. Androgens decrease SHBG
in the blood. A decrease in estrogen will also decrease SHBG production,
therefore increasing the amount of free androgens available in the blood, and
only free androgens are biologically viable. With more free androgens there is
an increase in hair growth.
• Exogenous Androgens - Sometimes a person taking medications for hormone
therapy (Estratest, danazol), body development (such as anabolic steroids and
body-building supplements) or to control pregnancy (birth control pills
containing norgestrel) can develop abnormal hair growth. Even certain
hormone-containing skin creams (used to treat specific conditions) can be
absorbed into the bloodstream and result in hair growth.
The first thing a woman should do who is concerned about an abnormal amount of hair growth (or about growth in unusual areas) is to consult her doctor. With a few blood tests he can usually pinpoint the specific cause of the abnormal hair growth and advise her on the best course of treatment for the underlying cause.
- ► 2011 (75)
- ► 2010 (1459)
- Shaggy Hairstyles
- Shag Hair style images for women
- Mens Hair Fashion - Newest Hairstyles for 2009 Coo...
- Korean Guys Hairstyles For Asian Boys Stylish
- Hair style wedding PICTURES
- 2009 Male Hairstyles for Short Hair Trends
- 2009 Spring Short Length Hairstyles For Men Trendy...
- Hair style gallery PICTURES
- Shemar Moore Hairstyles
- Cute Hairstyles by Martin Johnson
- Choose For Your Hairstyler
- Trendy Hairstyle
- Brad Pitt Short Messy Hairstyle 2009
- Medium Length Asian Hairstyles For Stylish Guys
- Short Hair Picture
- Celebrity Sedu Hairstyles
- Celebrity Formal Hairstyles
- Modern Unique Teens Hairstyles
- Stylish Short Haircuts
- Funky Hairstyles
- Layered Ponytail Hairstyles
- Trendy Haircuts Hairstyles
- Celebrity Updo Hairstyles
- Celebrity Women's Hairstyles
- Hair style tips PICTURES
- Punk Hair Goes Wild - Crazy New Hair Styles
- Trendy Asian Men's Hair Style
- Hair style pictures WALLPAPERS
- Men's Short Hairstyles For Thinning Hair trendy
- Hair styles for women PICTURES
- Expression Hair Stile : Summer Hair Style
- Expression sexy sedu hair style
- Medium hair style
- Black Short Hair Style
- Smoothing Gel - How to Smooth and Straighten Curly...
- Guy hairstyles --black short hair for men
- Popular Hairstyles By Albert Einstein
- Popular Long layered hair style
- Black Men Hairstyles
- Trendy Asian kids hairstyle -girl
- Miley Cyrus: 'I've never gotten along with someone...
- Hilarie Burton in running for social media award
- Paris Hilton dresses like a Barbie
- Cute Mens Hairstyles By Enzo Zelocchi
- Hot Bob Haircut shaved nape of neck( hot bob hairs...
- Hair Color Styles
- Fresh Spiky Hairstyles For Men 2009
- Emo Hair Styles With Image Emo Girls Hairstyle Wit...
- Popular Asian Long hairstyle for girls
- Fall Hairstyles 2009 - fall trends 2009 for women
- Celebrity Hairstyles -Sophisticated Updo Hairstyle...
- Richie Sambora Male Celebrity Stylish Long Hairsty...
- Biotin is an Important Vitamin For Hair Loss
- Hairstyles for Teens 2009
- hair cut styles 2009
- How can get salon quality highlights at home for w...
- Trendy Great prom hairstyles 2009
- Yes! Big , Long , Curly Hair cuts for women 2009 f...
- Riya Sen's hair style: long hair is sexy
- best hair cut styles
- Pictures of Sedu Hair Styles
- wedding style
- Hair Style 2009
- Attractive haircuts-- Long Hairstyles for women 20...
- Sexy Short Hair Cuts For a Great Masculine Men
- Johnny Depp Short Hairstyles
- summer hair cut styles
- Eva Herzigová Hairstyles
- Sarah Jessica Parker: Curly hair styles beautiful
- Megan Fox Long Wavy Hairstyle
- hair cut styles long hair
- Women's Thinning Hair - 3 Steps to Stop Your Hair ...
- Japanese Men Medium Hair Styles Pictures 2009
- Cool men's hairstyles 2009
- African American Haircuts For Naturally Curl Hair ...
- woman hair cut styles
- Beautiful Celebrity Hairstyles
- Cool Medium Emo Hairstyle For Men 2009
- Business Men's Hairstyles At Office
- Hot Celebrity Hairstyles
- Hair Growth in Women
- Hair Growth in Women
- Ancient Egyptian Hairstyles
- Vintage Hairstyles
- Mens Haircuts
- Mens Haircuts
- Hairstyles for Older Women
- Braiding Hair cuts
- Celebrity hairstyles long hair
- Hairstyles long hair
- Wedding Haircuts Styles
- Curly Haircuts Styles
- Curly Haircuts Styles
- Long Haircuts Styles
- Porn Short hairstyle
- Black Short Hair Styles
- Bridal Short Hairstyles
- Celebrity Short Hairstyles
- Short Hairstyle Tips
- Short Hair Cut Trends
- ▼ November (142)